Tuesday, May 31, 2005

My American Job


Barbara from California has had a lot of discussion on her site about outsourcing, and buying things made in America, and so on, which has had me thinking about that all day.
For the most part I think that things made in the USA are well-made. We're hard workers I believe. I believe that labor unions are a good thing. Without the original labor unions we would not have retirement plans, paid health insurance, vacation time, sick leave, etc.
At the same time, perhaps American workers relaxed a bit too much. There is a lot of "It's not my job," attitude out there. Did our employers desert us first, or did we desert them first? Which came first? Posted by Hello

3 comments:

Lila said...

I think mostly our employers let us down first. It's hard to have pride in a job well-done, in some ways, when it has so little bearing on job security and such. Why should low-wage earners knock themselves out when they're such pawns to their employers? I can understand the feeling that "I've done MY job, and that's enough."

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Thank you for the plug, lucinda.

I try to buy American as often as possible, like LL Bean (although I just found out a towel I bought was made in Turkey.) I want to help those individuals here first, if possible.

There is a distinction between self-pride and the recognition we expect from others. I LOVE that road kill, by the way. A truly original photo.

Thanks again,
barbara

Jamie Dawn said...

That pic is funny! I guess it could be considered road art.