Thursday, October 06, 2005

Early morning musing

My walking buddy Irene and I have agreed that it's just about too dark to walk at 6:30 AM these days. So we were supposed to start today at 6:45 instead. Only today I forgot and went to the park at 6:30 as usual.

Right away I realized my mistake 'cause she's not there, and she's not a person who's late. Oh, well. Gives me time to think. I don't think a whole lot, so's this is gonna be a good chance for me.

I was hearing on the car radio something about a stock car race, and before that I had been hearing something else about oil in Iran, or some other place over there somewhere-or-other. And I got to wondering: Did the three wise men have oil stickers on their robes? Or would those advertisement oil stickers be on their camels instead?

Question of the day on the radio is "What book is the most stolen from libraries?"

I call in using my cell phone and guess "The Bible." I'm a cynic. I'm also wrong.

Somebody else calls and guesses "The telephone book." Wrong again.

One day last week the question of the day was The five most stolen items in a drugstore are batteries, cosmetics, film, sunglasses, and what?

The answer was Preparation H. Apparently people are just too embarrassed to purchase it at the counter.

Irene arrives and we walk. After she drops out and goes home I realize why so many people speak to me after she leaves. It's later. More people are in the park. They don't get up before the sun the way we do. Simple answer.

Walking alone I begin to ponder stuff again. Whatever happened to Dan Quayle? Husband Niks and I often quote him whenever one of us has trouble figuring something out. One of us will say, "A mind is a terrible thing."

Do you remember when he was all het up about a fictional character on TV, Murphy Brown, being pregnant and unwed? He said things like, "Republicans understand the importance of bondage between parent and child." That Dan. You know his daddy's proud.

Wish I were saying to myself, "Whatever happened to George W. Bush?" No such luck. Then I would say, remember when ol' "W" said:
"Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB-GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country."
He really is dumber than a mud fence.

Time to go home. First I call the radio station to see what the answer was to the question of the day.

The Guinness Book of Records holds the record for being the book most often stolen from public libraries.
Go figure.


Edit: If you get bored today check this out. Ol' Georgie boy at his best:
http://www.badmash.org/videos/videos_flv.php?v=george_bush_512K_Stream

15 comments:

Mary said...

Thanks for the giggle, I always love a good Dan Quayle quote! :)

Jamie Dawn said...

I never would have guessed that book. I would have guessed, "The Causes and Cures of Chronic Impotence" for the same reason that Preparation H gets stolen from drug stores.

Fred said...

I would have guessed "The Joy of Sex" or something similar. After all, sex sells, doesn't it?

Libby said...

when i think of dan quayle, i think "potato/potatoe"!
BoUnCeS!! LibbY!

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Yeah, you're right. President Rove is proving to be something of a disaster.

Doug The Una said...

My favorite Quayle line, to the people of, I dunno (and neither did he) maybe Guam.

"Happy Campers you are,
Happy Campers you have been,
Happy Campers you always shall be!"

Mikki Marshall said...

At the drugstores here in New York they keep the batteries, film, and condoms behind the counter. See now I would've guessed condoms to be stolen a lot too for the same reasons as the preparation H. Oh well, guess I got a lot to learn about stealing.

Minka said...

I would have guessed that the book stolen from the library might be an Atlas, for many reasons...

a) where in the States is Wyoming
b) apparently there are other countries than mine
c) One really should find out where Iraque actually is, geographically seen...

there are many reasons for an Atlas, I believe.

Minka said...

I forgot... about the three WISE men. they were guided by a star, it must have been really bright. They took a long time (how many days was it? 30?) to get to Mary and they brought really practical gifts for the new mother and her infant son. Wise Men indeed!

Lila said...

I woulda said the Bible too. Huh, the Guinness Book... Never would have guessed!

TLP said...

It is surprising that the book was the Guinness Book of Records.

Yeah, ol' Danny Quayle was a rich, wonderful scource of Duh. I ponder who he paid to take the bar exam for him. Or maybe his dad just paid the exam folks off directly.

the many Bs said...

The Guiness Book - isn't that about world record setting beer??? (no, I'm NOT related to Dan Q- just trying to be stupid for laughs!)

Bela said...

Brilliant! As usual. :-)

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

I might want to borrow some of those questions for the day!

You always put a smile on my face, Tan Lucy!

kenju said...

I needed a chuckle tonight - and you gave me more than one!