Thursday, December 22, 2005

Nobody knows the truffles I've seen



On Tuesday when I took Peggy for her chemo treatment, I had time to kill. So I went to Chocolate World. Hershey PA truly is a sweet town! I love chocolate, but I didn't buy any for myself. My daughters of course know that they give you chocolate when you take the tour ride which explains how the cacao beans are harvested and become the chocolate that we eat and drink. (They also take a photo of you on the ride. That's me up there. I need color, don'tcha think?)

So, I did eat that little bit of chocolate that they force on you. But all the chocolate that I bought there is for other people. Of course, once you've had Schwartz' chocolate, you don't lust after Hershey chocolate so much anyway.

Most women love chocolate. So if you need to buy one last gift for a woman somewhere, my advice is to make it chocolate.

I shamelessly stole these chocolate rules from this Author Unknown guy. Some name, huh?
**********************
If you've got melted chocolate all over your hands, you're eating it too slowly.

Clearly, chocolate is a vegetable. Chocolate is derived from cacao beans. A bean is a vegetable. Wait! There's more! Sugar is derived from either sugar cane or sugar beets. Both are plants, which places them in the vegetable category. QED: chocolate is a vegetable.

Chocolate-covered raisins, -cherries, -orange slices and -strawberries all count as fruit. Eat as many as you want. Fruits are an important part of the Food Pyramid.

Hot tip: Eat a chocolate bar before each meal. It'll take the edge off your appetite and you'll eat less. I've tested this. It's true.

If calories are an issue, store your chocolate on top of the fridge. Calories are afraid of heights, and they will jump out of the chocolate to protect themselves.

Money talks. Chocolate sings.

Chocolate has many preservatives. Preservatives make you look younger. Therefore, chocolate is therapeutic.

Put "eat chocolate" at the top of your list of things to do today. That way, at least you'll get one thing done.

A nice box of chocolates can provide your total daily intake of calories in one place. Isn't that handy?

If you can't eat all your chocolate, it will keep in the freezer. But if you can't eat all your chocolate, what's wrong with you?

I would like to add my own rules and observations to the above "rules."

Chocolate eaten while standing over the kitchen sink, doesn't count as calories.

Chocolate eaten between midnight at 4 AM has no calories.

Flowers wilt, jewelry tarnishes, and candles burn out ...BUT CHOCOLATE DOESN'T HANG AROUND LONG ENOUGH TO GET OLD. Still, a general rule of thumb is that most any food cannot be kept longer than the average life span of a hamster. (Keep a hamster in your refrigerator to gauge this.)

When in doubt, and it's chocolate, go ahead and eat it.

25 comments:

dddragon said...

I already follow all these rules.

Can't you tell?

Ivy the Goober said...

Wow Tan Lucy Pez! You're beautiful, elegant, and classy!

Rachel said...

Great chocolatey post!!

Libby said...

oh...i think it's time for a big glass of chocolate milk now! BTW, chocolate milk has the bonus of calcium, so it really is good for you!~!

mireille said...

you're a cutie, Lucy. And I like Cadbury chocolate the best. The fruit and nut bar in the largest size, preferably. Jim uses this as a weapon when I am hormonal. You know, comes in the house brandishing it over his head like a whip, and then tosses it to me. To keep me from doing anything I'll regret. xoxo

Doug The Una said...

Ah, the life of an atheist chocoholic. No wonder you're so cute.

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

lol...

I would LOVE to go to chocolate world!

What a nice gesture to take your friend for chemo. She is lucky to have such a nice friend.

Jamie Dawn said...

Very nice pic; you are a doll.
My favorite is dark chocolate which I indulge in (a chunk off of a Hershey's bar) nearly every day. It's a ritual with me. I fix a warm vanilla cream or a chai tea in the evening and savor one or two pieces of dark chocolate with it. It is heaven, but it doesn't last long enough.
I buy those HUGE Hershey's bars at Walmart, so one bar lasts me about a week. God, I love that stuff!!

Trucker Pete said...

Uh-oh. Your aura's hanging out.

Minka said...

I discovered Hersheys a couple of days ago. OH MY GOD! A friend brought from the States peanut-butter Hershey kisses and I lost myself...So yummy! Don´t worry: I id not kiss anybody for a whole 10 hours!
I looked everywhere here...we just don´t import them:(

Doug The Una said...

I forgot to say thanks for the Schwartz Candy plug. Where are my manners? *wiping marshmallow off chin*

Logophile said...

Lucy, you are lovely!

the many Bs said...

If it's "free" chocolate, that is, chocolate given to you as a gift, it has no calories either.

Enjoy!

Kristie said...

i was probably the only woman in the world who did not like chocolate...until i became pregnant with my son. Then any chocolate was awesome...especially dark chocolate. And now, i still like chocolate. My boyfriend (who was the chocoholic of the family) isnt too thrilled at the thought of sharing the candy with me. Oh well. I just buy the jumbo sizes!

Oh-in my family- special occasions are calorie-free as well.

kenju said...

Fortunately (or probably unfortunately for my waistline), I have a new 5 minute fudge recipe that is to die for. I have been making it for gifts, but all too much is going in my mouth!


Merry Christmas!

Saur♥Kraut said...

What a great pic, TLP! You look distinguished and lovely. Oh, and I looooovvvve chocolate. Especially Godiva!

Bela said...

You look wonderful, TLP!

My favourite chocolate is Swiss choc: Lindt, Suchard. I'm also partial to good Belgian chocolate. No fruit for me, just hazelnut.

Can't bear Cadbury's, though (sorry, M), and it's everywhere here.

Lila said...

That's a nice picture of you!

The Reverent Eater said...

You're definitely on to something. Dark chocolate has the same polyphenols that are in red wine, which are said to reduce cancer risks and heart disease. Unfortunately, the milk in milk chocolate neutralizes the effect, so Dark Chocolate is the way to go. At my house we've decided that it's actually the 15th SuperFood.

lime said...

how neat to see a picture of you!

may i also tell you these other true facts about chocolate.

1.the antioxidants in dark chocolate are good for your heart and they are found in higher concentrations that in red wine or green tea.
2.eating chocolate releases serotonins inthe brain. feelings of euphoria and all.
3.chocolate contains compounds that also prevent plaque formation on the teeth, thus protecting you from cavities.

sounds like health food to me!

Christine said...

Wait,,you forgot an important rule! Any chocolate consummed between December 15th and January 2 counteracts the other calories you have eaten throughout the holidays. Glad to be of help.
Merry Merry Ho Ho Ho.

Klondike Kate said...

I LOVE chocolate. Funny enough, some of my favorite are the chocolate bars I had in Japan. Who know the Japanese could do amazing chocolate? 'Course, they could have imported the chocolate and I wouldn't have known since I couldn't read the labeling!

Peter said...

Very well said Lucy.

Anonymous said...

OK - that 's it now i'm craving chocolate. But too lazy to go get any. I do have a box wrapped up - a xmas present for someone. There is still time to go get another box...tomorrow. hmmm tempting. No one will know but you bloggers will know what i did. he he he

Mikki Marshall said...

Oh my gosh, this has nothing to do with chocolate and everything about hamsters. I completely forgot about this until you mentioned hamsters in the refrigerator. My friend's stepdaughter had a hamster who died and she couldn't figure out how she wanted to bury him or where so she cried and cried and it was just tragic. So my friend decided to store the hamster in the refrigerator (inside of a plastic baggy of course) until the child made up her mind... can you imagine. And I believe that the hamster remained in the refrigerator for about a year.